[NMLUG] More an email topic.

James Hamilton nmlug@swcp.com
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 16:52:37 -0700

As long as your users don't have root access, you're safe from viruses, safe from user caused problems and upgrades are a snap.

I was having this discussion the other day with some friends.  My point is, does it cost more to put up and maintain a linux box per person over 3-5 years since the software is free than it does to have legitimate licenses and support for a comperable windows counterpoint.

I think I could make a pretty compelling argument that *nix cheaper and more secure over the long hual.

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 04:46:04PM -0700, Aaron Birenboim wrote:
> "Robbins, Wesley L" wrote:
>
> > This is why I personally think Linux is not a desktop standard
> > for the average user.  As I wrote this the reason Linux fails
> > is exactly why I love Linux. It can do anything you want. You
> > just need to give it the effort.
>
> This is the reason that I think LINUX is ready for
> SOME desktops.  It is tricky.  But very configurable.
> Hence I do think it is/should be THE choice for most
> small-office settings and dedicated computers.
> Any organization large enough to have an MIS guy
> (at least part-time) can reasonably deploy LINUX.
> But you do need a professional available to get
> it set up, and software installed.

And they're getting better all the time.