[NMLUG] ide-scsi

Gary Sandine nmlug@swcp.com
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 19:00:31 -0700

On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 06:54:28PM -0700, Aaron Birenboim wrote:
>   Aargh!  I seem to have lost the ability to use ide-scsi!
> I was able to use the drive at ide-ATAPI (at one time).
> (I had ide-scsi once too... but changed kernels)
>
> Anyway...  the bios does not see the drive.
> I don't think thats anything new.
>
> However, after installing the ide-scsi stuff, both as modules
> and monolithic, it still can't seem to see my cd writer.
>
> Note:
>
> gandalf:~ # dmesg | grep ATAPI
> hdb: RAITE RDR-108H DVDROM V1.7, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> hdb: ATAPI 40X DVD-ROM drive, 256kB Cache, UDMA(33)
> scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
> gandalf:~ #
>
> Seems like its just not getting attached.
> Is this correct?
>
> How might I debug this?

Are you attempting to use SCSI-emulation as a modules, or is it compiled
into the kernel?  In the first case, SCSI CDROM support, SGSI generic supt,
and IDE SCSI-emulation should all be M.  In the second case, they should
all be Y (and any other ATAPI devices will then be used under SCSI-emu,
which may not be desirable).  If you're using modules, what does your
</etc/lilo.conf> and your </etc/modules.conf> look like?