[NMLUG] Topic for meetings.

nmlug@swcp.com nmlug@swcp.com
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 16:30:16 -0700 (MST)

I can't say I'm proud of it, but every few months, I create tar files and
burn CD-R(W)s as backups. This works well if you have a small hard drive,
and only need to backup infrequently (I also backup critical files to a
JAZ drive nightly, but that's just a simple cron tar job). If your HD is
larger than 650M (and almost all of them are now), you have to create a
special directory to keep each "chunk" under 650M.

What qualities are you looking for in a backup? How much data are you
backing up? How often? Incremental or full backups? What media are you
using to backup? Is the data sensitive (on a fast connection, using free
web servers as a sort of RAID backup is one thought I had; even with
encryption, however, you'd want to be careful with sensitive data)?

You mentioned you didn't like how your current script worked. Can we see
it? What don't you like about it?

--
Sincerely, Sarang (sarang@sarangworld.com)
AOL Instant Messenger ID: JavaMath