[NMLUG] Topic for meetings.

Aaron Birenboim nmlug@swcp.com
Mon, 05 Nov 2001 18:36:58 -0700

sarang@sarangworld.com wrote:

> I can't say I'm proud of it, but every few months, I create tar files and
> burn CD-R(W)s as backups.

Frankly, so do I.

Wouldn't dump work to a file?

Its not as good as a tape (where the data is OFF the hard drive
every night) but couldn't you have a procedure like:

 * Send daily incrementals to a backup directory, and compress.
 * When the files in the backup directory are
   nearly 650M, burn a cd, delete old files, then do
   a FULL dump, and compress.
 * repeat.

Could be automated with a cron script that sends an e-mail
when backup files near 650M

If you have a tape drive, just dump to tape,
and re-start (with a full dump)
when the tape nears capacity.

--
Aaron Birenboim | Black holes are where G-d divided
Albuquerque, NM |      by zero.