[NMLUG] Topic for meetings.

C. Ulrich nmlug@swcp.com
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 20:39:28 -0700

On Monday 05 November 2001 18:36, you wrote:
> sarang@sarangworld.com wrote:
> > I can't say I'm proud of it, but every few months, I create tar files and
> > burn CD-R(W)s as backups.
>
> Frankly, so do I.
>
> Wouldn't dump work to a file?
>
> Its not as good as a tape (where the data is OFF the hard drive
> every night) but couldn't you have a procedure like:

This far my own solution would be to have an old crappy box sitting across
the network (probably in a different room) with two high-capacity drives
serving NFS. Every night, each computer sends it's crucial data (/etc, /home,
/usr/local, whatever) to the backup server where it's archived and mirrored
to the second disk.

Sure, it's none too elegant, but it's cheap (compared to tape drive + tapes),
effortless, (once set up), reliable (with two drives), and robust so long as
you have a way to be notified when something goes wrong. The hardest part is
going to be writing all the shell scripts to make something like this work
and work well.

--C. Ulrich