[NMLUG] Changing monitors

C. Ulrich nmlug@swcp.com
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 20:49:51 -0700

On Monday 05 November 2001 18:48, you wrote:
> Currently running RedHat Linux 6.2 with a Sylvania F76 17" monitor.
> Trying to get more workspace on my desk, so I bought a Viewsonic VG151
> (15" flat panel) monitor.  I don't run X often, but do I simply need to
> run XConfigurator again and select the correct monitor?
>
> Thanks, Rick

With XFree 4.x (afaik), all you need to do is change the HorizSync and
VertRefresh timings in XF86Config to that of the new monitor. I don't know if
an LCD panel manual would have an appropriate refresh rate listed in it. Feel
free to experiment with those, as you can't harm an LCD panel by playing with
the values like you can a CRT. If all else fails, perhaps do some searching
on the web for the correct timings.

If your LCD panel is even defined in XConfigurator, then give it a go. But I
personally hate to run a config program on an XF86Config file that's known to
work, since they occasionally mung some of my settings.

Hope this helps.

--C. Ulrich