[NMLUG] Changing monitors

Gary Sandine nmlug@swcp.com
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 20:50:42 -0700

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 06:48:24PM -0700, Rick Martin wrote:
> Currently running RedHat Linux 6.2 with a Sylvania F76 17" monitor.
> Trying to get more workspace on my desk, so I bought a Viewsonic VG151
> (15" flat panel) monitor.  I don't run X often, but do I simply need to
> run XConfigurator again and select the correct monitor?

It is necessary to make sure the horiz/vert scan rates are within those
that your monitor can handle.  In /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (and
/etc/X11/XF86Config, whichever one you are using depends on which X server
you are running, so change in both if they both exist), look for lines

        HorizSync 30 - 95
        VertRefresh 50 - 160

in the section for your monitor (should be set for Sylvania now).  Change
to the values that your new monitor can handle, which can be found in the
monitor documentation.  Assuming horiz is 30-62 kHz and vert is 50-75 Hz,
change the above lines to read

        HorizSync 30-62
        VertRefresh 50-75

You should also change Modes in your default Screen section to the resolution
you want to run at (evidently native for VG151 is 1024x768).

Xconfigurator might mess things up, so it's a good idea to change by hand
the sections that need to be changed in your working XF86Config(-4) file.

Regards,
Gary S.