[NMLUG] Topic for meetings.

Aaron Birenboim nmlug@swcp.com
Wed, 07 Nov 2001 06:13:20 -0700

sarang@sarangworld.com wrote:

> It might also be neat to consider a redundant, reliable,
> non-excessive-bandwidth-consuming, secure, encrypted scheme to backup data
> to free webhosts (geocities, freedrive, hypermart, tripod, et al).

Hmmm....  how might I go about that?
It might make sense to back up really critical data that way.

What I do now is dump my databases every night, then
check the dump files into RCS.
This way I can recover if somebody commits some
malicious mischief to the DB.
PostGres probobally supports something slicker, but
I'm no DB expert, and this seems to work well, and
consume very little disk space.

It might be slick to upload a compressed tar of my
DB dump archive to such a service.
How might I go about this?

--
Aaron Birenboim | Black holes are where G-d divided
Albuquerque, NM |      by zero.