[NMLUG] Topic for meetings.

C. Ulrich nmlug@swcp.com

> sarang@sarangworld.com wrote:
> > It might also be neat to consider a redundant, reliable,
> > non-excessive-bandwidth-consuming, secure, encrypted scheme to backup
> > data to free webhosts (geocities, freedrive, hypermart, tripod, et al).
>
> Hmmm....  how might I go about that?
> It might make sense to back up really critical data that way.

I would only do it for semi-critical data, if that. The main problem is that
of availability. How do you know they won't shut down your accounts at an
inopportune time? How do you know their web servers (or whatever) won't be
down when you need them most?

If you really need to store something important offsite and online, the most
secure and most reliable way is probably one of those for-pay data storage
companies. I understand that most of them guarantee your data will be safe
and available when you need it.

But it's your data, do with it what you wish. :)

--C. Ulrich