[NMLUG] ssh X forwarding

Matt Grommes nmlug@swcp.com
Wed, 07 Nov 2001 15:40:52 -0700

Just one more note, on OpenSSH (not sure about the other ones) you can
run 'ssh -X' to enable X11Forwarding just for that one session. 'ssh -x'
disables for that session. According to the ssh man page, the order of
configurations goes command line, user config, system config meaning
that any user configs override system configs and command line switches
override everything.

C. Ulrich wrote:

> I see a lot of replies to this, but none which seems to actually answer the
> issue at hand.
>
> If I read this correctly, you are trying to ssh to a remote machine. Nothing
> more, nothing less. First, ask yourself: Are you going to run remote X apps
> through ssh? If not, then ignore this. AFAIK, this message will be printed
> any time X11Forwarding is set to 'no' or undefined in /etc/ssh/sshd_config,
> but the client has ForwardX11 set to 'yes' either in the global config file
> (/etc/ssh/ssh_config) or in the user config file ($HOME/.ssh/config). Of
> course, the global config file overrides the user's.
>
> If you want to run X apps over the connection, then you need to get the admin
> (unless you *are* the admin) to change X11Forwarding to 'yes' in
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config.
>
> See? I didn't mention trusted networks, keys, allowing root to login, *or*
> Red Hat 5.0. :P
>
> --C. Ulrich
>
> On Wednesday 07 November 2001 09:52, you wrote:
>
>>One of my clients just changed sshd over from
>>Tru64 to Linux.  Now I get a warning when I log in...
>>
>>Warning: Remote host denied X11 forwarding.
>>Last login: Wed Nov  7 10:49:59 2001 from helstf
>>
>>Does anybody know where the problem might lie?
>>Which host is remote?  The client of the server?
>>i.e.  Do I need to add some more modern type
>>of authentication to my X server, or does the
>>sshd need to be configured to allow X forwarding?

	Matt Grommes 		    --
-- 47.3% of your base are belong to the IRS --