[NMLUG] Truman MS

Steve Browne nmlug@swcp.com
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 07:58:33 -0700

On Sat, 10 Nov 2001 07:31:43 -0700, you wrote:

>Jeez, WHAT A HORDE! If we cannot organize a use for them all, the
>Technet side of the Oso Grande split is specifically chartered to be a
>channel for this. See www.Reruns.NM.org, the contact is Terry Boulanger
><boulan@nm.net>.
>
>Let us try first, though. I think we could make an excellent kid project
>out of a rehab line for old computers. Even if we only deploy 4 sx
>machines with one DX or Pentium server to a school, and even if they
>have no graphics, as Aaron found out, the kids are sometimes even more
>fascinated by the power of a command line than they are with
>mouse-waving. As you and I know, this is A Good Thing.

While your enthusiasm is admirable, Don, I think you should set a
cut-off point or bottom line for the kind of equipment really useful
for the Truman HS project. I'm not about to give ANYTHING to Technet
(I explained my opinion once before). As I have said, you can go to
Bentley's Auction any other Friday and find a WAREHOUSE full of
outmoded computer equipment to be bought for a song.

Judging from the boot-up time I observed for Linux Mandrake 8.0 on the
Pentium 233 system I donated, I would think a Pentium would be your
bottom line. Otherwise YOU are going to wind up with a warehouse full
of "junk".

Steve

Stephen B. Browne
sbrowne@ix.netcom.com