[NMLUG] Truman MS

Aaron Birenboim nmlug@swcp.com
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 08:28:40 -0700

Steve Browne wrote:

> Judging from the boot-up time I observed for Linux Mandrake 8.0 on the
> Pentium 233 system I donated, I would think a Pentium would be your
> bottom line. Otherwise YOU are going to wind up with a warehouse full
> of "junk".

Depends on what you load.
Switch to FVWM instead of KDE, and you are fine.
No X?  Even better.

Frankly, I agree that it may not be worth our
time and effort to do much with 486's or less.
However, if Don gets these kids writing assembler,
we could perhaps send these machines home with them.

But 2 or 3 such machines would be sufficient.
The other 17 can go elsewhere.

For me, there is usually a space issue.
Sure I can use an old 486 as gateway or print server,
but its too much space.  Most businesses would rather
add power to an existing server/workstation, or
just buy a little router or print-server for $200.
(Although I strongly recommed against the
little $200 HP-jet-direct print servers)

--
Aaron Birenboim | Black holes are where G-d divided
Albuquerque, NM |      by zero.