[NMLUG] Truman MS

Eric Krieger nmlug@swcp.com
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 08:55:08 -0700

you can make a 486 system into a nice linux router.

eric

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 08:28:40AM -0700, Aaron Birenboim wrote:
[Aaron] Steve Browne wrote:
[Aaron]
[Aaron] > Judging from the boot-up time I observed for Linux Mandrake 8.0 on the
[Aaron] > Pentium 233 system I donated, I would think a Pentium would be your
[Aaron] > bottom line. Otherwise YOU are going to wind up with a warehouse full
[Aaron] > of "junk".
[Aaron]
[Aaron] Depends on what you load.
[Aaron] Switch to FVWM instead of KDE, and you are fine.
[Aaron] No X?  Even better.
[Aaron]
[Aaron] Frankly, I agree that it may not be worth our
[Aaron] time and effort to do much with 486's or less.
[Aaron] However, if Don gets these kids writing assembler,
[Aaron] we could perhaps send these machines home with them.
[Aaron]
[Aaron] But 2 or 3 such machines would be sufficient.
[Aaron] The other 17 can go elsewhere.
[Aaron]
[Aaron] For me, there is usually a space issue.
[Aaron] Sure I can use an old 486 as gateway or print server,
[Aaron] but its too much space.  Most businesses would rather
[Aaron] add power to an existing server/workstation, or
[Aaron] just buy a little router or print-server for $200.
[Aaron] (Although I strongly recommed against the
[Aaron] little $200 HP-jet-direct print servers)
[Aaron]
[Aaron] --
[Aaron] Aaron Birenboim | Black holes are where G-d divided
[Aaron] Albuquerque, NM |      by zero.
[Aaron] aaron@boim.com  |
[Aaron] boim.com/~aaron |                      -Steven Wright
[Aaron] ------------------------------------------------------
[Aaron] with only the word unsubscribe in the body.  More
[Aaron] information can be found at www.nmlug.org/info.html
[Aaron]

--
eric krieger