[NMLUG] Truman MS

Steve Browne nmlug@swcp.com
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 10:45:09 -0700

On Sat, 10 Nov 2001 09:47:58 -0700, you wrote:

>>While your enthusiasm is admirable, Don, I think you should set a
>>cut-off point or bottom line for the kind of equipment really useful
>>for the Truman HS project. I'm not about to give ANYTHING to Technet
>>(I explained my opinion once before). As I have said, you can go to
>>Bentley's Auction any other Friday and find a WAREHOUSE full of
>>outmoded computer equipment to be bought for a song.
>
>>Judging from the boot-up time I observed for Linux Mandrake 8.0 on the
>>Pentium 233 system I donated, I would think a Pentium would be your
>>bottom line. Otherwise YOU are going to wind up with a warehouse full
>>of "junk".
>
>  While there is an argument for a minimum processor speed, there are
>also strong reasons to use multiple computers with identical configurations.
>One of the major points of Linux is its ability to do useful work with slower
>computers.  It seems that M$ and the computer industry have inadvertently
>conspired to convince consumers that they need faster and faster computers.

Most of us know your oratorical arguments. I started with Linux six
years ago when there wasn't much choice of GUI interfaces. However,
these kids should see that Linux and other open source OSs have come a
long way, and some of them can do anything M$Win can, and more. That
was my logic behind donating Linux Mandrake 8.0 and a system that
could run it. Mandrake, for one, also provides desktop choices
including FVWM from the X-login, or straight command line interface.
But if you are really going to capture kids' attention, you need to
have the capability of the bells and whistles they find elsewhere. So
Don might as well shoot for NEWER systems rather than the leftovers.

Steve
Stephen B. Browne
sbrowne@ix.netcom.com
"Veritas odit moras"