[NMLUG] Truman MS

Steve Browne nmlug@swcp.com
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 12:21:36 -0700

On Sat, 10 Nov 2001 11:59:53 -0700, you wrote:

>Steve Browne wrote:
>>

>> Judging from the boot-up time I observed for Linux Mandrake 8.0 on the
>> Pentium 233 system I donated, I would think a Pentium would be your
>> bottom line. Otherwise YOU are going to wind up with a warehouse full
>> of "junk".
>>
>A further thought on all of this, Steve. I do want to make this project
>self-sustaining somehow, not just a one-semester whoopee! By starting
>now, we will begin to train kids to do these things, and newer kids will
>be helped by existing project members in the best 'secret society'
>tradition. These computers will definitely not last more than a year --
>several of the drives you and I donated have already flaked
[snip]

I had, and used, those drives for years (obviously) with no problem.
The FIRST thing you you teach is that computers are delicate machines.
Treated properly, they should last a long time.

I'll stay out of the rest of your oration. You're beginning to sound
like a Congressman. Seriously. Have you ever read their speeches in
the Congressional Record?     :-)

Steve
Stephen B. Browne
sbrowne@ix.netcom.com