[NMLUG] Where to troubleshoot?!?

Steve Browne nmlug@swcp.com
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 10:10:02 -0700

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001 09:44:03 -0700, you wrote:

>I've been having a hard time finding relevant and accurate troubleshooting
>for Mandrake Linux. I initially loaded it on a Dell Latitude LS400
>super-slim notebook. Of course it had the usual problems with the winmodem
>and soundcard but there were other problems too (mostly networking). I
>loaded the same software on a run-of-the-mill Dell desktop (thinking I could
>alleviate the tricky laptop issues) and essentially had the same problems. I
>tried the most popular on-line resources for troubleshooting and none of
>them seemed to help. I tried the newbie sites and they "explained" the
>problems but didn't offer solutions. Most of the problems I solved on my own
>(but with many late nights and repeated steps). I went to Borders bookstore
>to see what kind of troubleshooting books were available. None. Even CompUSA
>didn't have anything that could help me. I realize that I need to read more
>about the basics of Linux but in the meantime it would be nice to have a
>full operational Linux box (laptop or desktop) to play with while I learn.
>Any suggestions?
>
>Geoff Smith

1) You should specifiy which release # you are working with. The
latest release (8.1, "Vitamin")  is much smoother than predecessors.

2) The is an "ask the experts" Mandrake Web site at
http://www.mandrakeexpert.com/index1.php
You might get a quicker response by getting on the Mandrake Expert
mailing list.

3) There is a newsgroup, alt.os.linux.mandrake, which is very active.

I suggest you make your questions very specific, which you haven't
done above.

Regards,
Steve
Stephen B. Browne