[NMLUG] Where to troubleshoot?!?

Robbins, Wesley L nmlug@swcp.com
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 14:42:37 -0700

I totally agree with you.  I think that that the support issues
fall into the realm of cost effectiveness.  "Linux for Newbies"
Is extremely hard. They have a hard time Installing drivers and
new applications. Dell or most companies.  Would almost hang
themselves to try to fully support Linux in it's current state.

I think the Bumper sticker, "Smart people use Linux. The
                             rest get MS-Borged." --On a car in LA.

Deflammer Disclaimer:  Linux can freely be replaced with any
                      open Source *nix or Mac operating system.

-----Original Message-----
From: Valentin Guillen [mailto:vguillen@thuntek.net]
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2001 2:14 PM
To: 'nmlug@swcp.com'
Subject: RE: [NMLUG] Where to troubleshoot?!?

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, GEOFF SMITH wrote:

> Eric,
> That a great link. Thanks.
> I think this quote from that website sums it up....
> "Installation of Linux on this laptop was painful".
> Geoff Smith

This is good information for us to know. After ten years of presence in
the marketplace, I would certainly expect mainstream companies in this
field to have obtained, purchased, stolen or otherwise purloined a clue
about the longterm outlook for GNU/Linux, and further, to be supplying
hardware and it's related software, like drivers, in a timely and
supportive manner.

While it's true that many enlightened companies, like Big Blue have
embraced Linux, to one extent or another over the last several years,
you've presented us with a timely and pointed reminder that not all
companies care about the non-m$ user at all.  Indeed, some companies seem
to create obstacles for their Linux users.

By us being kept informed and aware of practices in the hardware industry
which hurt us, we can make more informed purchasing decisions, in both our
personal and our professional capacities.

We should never forget the power we exercise as consumers, if we consume
concomitant with our beliefs.  I continue to disaprove of Dell
Corporation's lack of solid support for Linux. Thanks for the timely
reminder
of why I harbor this notion.

Regards,
Valentin Guillen