[NMLUG] Netscape cache

C. Ulrich nmlug@swcp.com
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 22:17:53 -0700

On Monday 12 November 2001 14:41, you wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Michael Starnes wrote:
> > Has anybody had success clearing their disk cache with the features
> > under edit/preferences/advanced/cache? It doesn't seem to work here. I
> > ran out of space in my home directory and by manually clearing out 32
> > cache files I got 50MB of free space. So the maximum cache sizes in
> > Netscape's preferences don't work either. This is on Netscape 4.75.
>
> This matches my experience.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John

Netscape 4.7 is so broken, in my experience, that I don't trust it to do
anything on it's own, except render HTML. And it doesn't even do that
properly most of the time.

Mozilla is still rather buggy but admittedly less so than most X desktop apps
these days. If you have a decent computer, say 500MHz and up, (and I speak to
everyone here) I'd recommend at least taking a look. It just got tabbed
browsing, which is quite limited at the moment, but still incredibly more
comfortable than cascading 5 browser windows.

If Mozilla's too bulky but you've got lots disk space, try Galeon. If you
have a recent KDE build, try Konqueror. Both are exceptional browsers, albeit
not without their weak points.

--C. Ulrich, trolling the mailing list as per usual.

p.s. Forgot to mention that Mozilla 0.9.5 has a way to disable javascript
popup ads that appear when you load a page. It leaves all other popup windows
alone.