[NMLUG] Truman MS

Mike Sabin nmlug@swcp.com
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 20:27:00 -0700

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 11:59:53AM -0700, Don Wilde wrote:
>These computers will definitely not last more than a year --
> several of the drives you and I donated have already flaked -- and so
> constant donations will be needed.

Perhaps some would find it horrifying to contemplate, but one sure
can learn a lot on extra-crappy hardware.  When I first started
playing around with linux, I was trying to build a little test box
out of the discarded junk in my employer's "dead hardware" closet.
Man, just when I thought I had a decent motherboard, FZZZT!  Hard
drives, flakey RAM, incompatible video cards and NICs, it went on and
on.  After all, that stuff had been put back in the closet for a
reason: IT DIDN'T FRICKING WORK!  But boy, did I ever learn about PC
hardware and linux.  Two months of that is worth ten years of looking
at KDE, IF you want to learn about hardware and operating systems.
Of course, not all folks will want that; nevertheless there is
learning potential in what some would write off as a frustrating
waste of time.

Mike Sabin