[NMLUG] Truman MS

Steve Browne nmlug@swcp.com
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 22:05:23 -0700

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001 20:27:00 -0700, you wrote:

>On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 11:59:53AM -0700, Don Wilde wrote:
>>These computers will definitely not last more than a year --
>> several of the drives you and I donated have already flaked -- and so
>> constant donations will be needed.
>
>Perhaps some would find it horrifying to contemplate, but one sure
>can learn a lot on extra-crappy hardware.  When I first started
>playing around with linux, I was trying to build a little test box
>out of the discarded junk in my employer's "dead hardware" closet.
>Man, just when I thought I had a decent motherboard, FZZZT!  Hard
>drives, flakey RAM, incompatible video cards and NICs, it went on and
>on.  After all, that stuff had been put back in the closet for a
>reason: IT DIDN'T FRICKING WORK!  But boy, did I ever learn about PC
>hardware and linux.  Two months of that is worth ten years of looking
>at KDE, IF you want to learn about hardware and operating systems.
>Of course, not all folks will want that; nevertheless there is
>learning potential in what some would write off as a frustrating
>waste of time.
>
>Mike Sabin

Computer language has been to date largely at the stage of "the tower
of Babel", which, if I need to refresh your biblical memory, was the
point where humanity (in the Bible) split into so many tribes, each
with their own language, that no one could communicate.

We still have many different spoken and written languages, but you are
free to speak and write whichever you please. The point of the open
source movement is not to make everyone speak the same computer
language, but to make you free to speak and write whichever you
please.

Current Linux releases have gotten easier to deal with, but if you
want to speak and write the language you are still free to do as you
please.

Steve
Stephen B. Browne
sbrowne@ix.netcom.com