[NMLUG] Console Resolution

Steve Browne nmlug@swcp.com
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 16:14:54 -0700

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001 14:36:33 -0700, you wrote:

>As a follow-up to my post last week about changing monitors from a
>Sylvania F76 to a Viewsonic VG151b flat panel monitor.
>
>I've made the switch, but now every so often the flat panel monitor
>displays a message:
>
>"For Best Picture Quality, Change the Resolution to 1024x768"
>
>I'm currently running at 80x25, and the monitor is showing the
>resolution as 720x400.
>
>Is there a way to get my Linux console to run at 1024x768?  I've tried
>SVGATextMode, but that didn't seem to help, unless I did something
>wrong.
>
>Thanks, Rick

You'd want 1024x768 for your xwindows ("graphics") screen. In terminal
("text") mode you don't need it.

The resolution of xwindows is set in the XF86Config configuration
file, which is usually in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11. You can manually edit
this file, though recent Linux releases will set your resolution
through an interactive menu during installation.

Do a search on XF86Config for a full discussion.

Steve
Stephen B. Browne
sbrowne@ix.netcom.com
"Veritas odit moras"