Linux Support... was - Re: [NMLUG] Where to troubleshoot?!?

Aaron Birenboim nmlug@swcp.com
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:07:08 -0700

"C. Ulrich" wrote:

> ... they should ... release the
> specs to their products in an open manner so that third parties can develop
> drivers for their hardware. It's the best of both worlds for them, really:
> they get Linux support early and they don't even have to pay for it. In my
> opinion, I'd rather have Linux developers writing the kernel drivers than a
> few hired hands sitting in a corporate cubicle, anyway.

As somebody who WAS a corporate hired hand in a cubicle (LITERALLY!),
albeit briefly.  You don't know how correct you are.
We are all FAR better off if an experienced kernel-driver developer
does this than the HW manufacturer.  Its usually harder to master
efficient use of the OS driver interfaces than the HW.

I just wish more companies would wise up and contract out
to experienced linux kernel folks for the LINUX driver support.
It must be financially viable to give these developers some
$ AND access to your engineers for LINUX support.
I don't know why HW manufacturers are so resistant.
--
Aaron Birenboim | Black holes are where G-d divided
Albuquerque, NM |      by zero.