[NMLUG] Free/Open convert to pdf?

Aaron Birenboim nmlug@swcp.com
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:14:58 -0700

Thanx John.

We tried our best to install ps2pdf (gs) under Digital Unix 4.0, but
after 3 or 4 hours, we still weren't done recovering from
the dependancy tree.  We got the main dependencies built,
but it started getting real tricky when it wanted gtk/glibc.
I think those old Alphas may be on X11R4, not R6 anyway.
Just too much trouble.  Does gs have some way to cut-out X
in the config?

We eventually gave up, and put a cron script on the LINUX/Raid
file server to automaticly scan the heirarchy for *.ps files,
and convert them to *.pdf.  Not as clean as just creating
*.pdf with the Alphas that generate the data, but it will do.

This is DEFINATELY a situation where using commercial
HW/UNIX is NOT a good choice!  This is just a number-crunching
workstation.  LINUX would be so much easier to deal with.

Unfortunately, they had their budget cut, and will not
be able to afford to have me port to LINUX any time soon.
--
Aaron Birenboim | Black holes are where G-d divided
Albuquerque, NM |      by zero.