[NMLUG] simple audio editing

C. Ulrich nmlug@swcp.com
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 17:57:44 -0700

On Monday 19 November 2001 17:39, you wrote:
> I want to get some simple audio editing tools.
> I just want to be able to cut a single audio file
> into smaller pieces.
> One main use:  Record a side of a vinyl record, then
> split into tracks.
>
> Can anybody suggest any good, free tools to do this?
>
> Unless I can get some solid tools, I'll write a program to report
> a volume level every 1/10th second or so.  Print out
> the results.  Then write a script which will take "cut"
> times and run something like sox to cut up the files.
>
> It just seems to me that somebody must have done something
> slicker than this, and made it available for free.
> Its not too hard.

While I like your idea better simply for the homebrew hacking geek
sentimentality of it, there are a few programs listed in freshmeat:

http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=audio%20editing

Just be wary enough to choose one that will handle a huge audio file, for
example a clip the size of half a record. :P

--C. Ulrich