[NMLUG] redhat spanks micro$oft

::[eric krieger]:: nmlug@swcp.com
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 05:50:24 -0700

<rant>
I guess I don't see where this is a "real" punishment for micro$oft,
it's more like an expensive marketing project. I cant help but view this
as letting the crack dealer into schools with open arms.  Having another
generation hooked (reliant) on only one OS and one software company.
Let the brainwashing begin.
</rant>

Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nmlug@swcp.com [mailto:owner-nmlug@swcp.com] On Behalf Of C.
Ulrich
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2001 7:57 PM
To: nmlug@swcp.com
Subject: Re: [NMLUG] redhat spanks micro$oft

On Tuesday 20 November 2001 16:28, you wrote:
> You all probably saw this on slashdot, but what the heck.  It's a well

> crafted jab at our favorite behemoth, regarding their class-action
> lawsuit.
>
>   http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/011120/202744_1.html
>
> Eric

I will admit, Red Hat hasn't always made the best decisions sometimes,
but
this is a genius stroke. If nothing else, it's a very public stab at MS,

saying, "Your deal is pooey. We can top it easily. Get 'em, DoJ."

That said, Microsoft's original proposal to give software and hardware
schools doesn't seem that impressive to me... Give away the kit, then
charge
them through the nose for a license renewal once they're hooked. I
remember
Apple (a much smaller company, even at the time) doing this a long while
back
without the catch, albiet maybe not on such a large scale.

It's also worth noting that if this does go through, NMLUG would be in a
good
position to offer installation, support, and a bit of guidance to the
schools
in the area on these Red Hat systems. How many school faculty might
otherwise
just stash the free RH CDs up on a shelf? And of the schools that get
the
hardware as well, would the systems even be switched on at the beginning
of
the day if the teachers know that there's no familiar Microsoft
operating
system on them? I know at my old high school, those computers would
collect
dust.

Just some thoughts, I apologize if they're not coherent. :P

--C. Ulrich