[NMLUG] redhat spanks micro$oft

Alex Rice nmlug@swcp.com
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 13:04:16 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Aaron Birenboim wrote:

> First of all, I think this was just a bunch of PR hot-wind.
> I expect nothing from it.
>
> Second of all...  we are already trying to do the above ;-)
> I, for one, hope that Truman is just the tip of the iceberg.

What you all are doing at Truman is more valuable.

The Redhat offer, even if it was only PR, overlooks one important fact:
all the hardware in the world isn't going to change technology education
in any significant way. Schools need dedicated tech savvy people on site
to train and mentor the kids and other educators. A few M$ trouble
tickets, or a lifetime subscription to Redhat's support website isn't
going to do anything. IMO.

This reminds me: human aspects of technology education are covered often
and very in depth on the NetFuture broadcast email list. Pretty good
reading, if you can get over that the author is kindof a tech Luddite.

Alex