[NMLUG] Linux Firewall

Jason Davis nmlug@swcp.com
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 20:36:07 -0800

there is a gui for the linux firewall from the console but its kinda week
thin the command is /usr/bin/lokkit...the gui for firwall in rh 7.1 -kde is
ok. iptable rules are really easy i suggest you just learn how to write
them. lots of really good how to's on the web

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nmlug@swcp.com [mailto:owner-nmlug@swcp.com]On Behalf Of
Kyle
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2001 6:16 PM
To: nmlug@swcp.com
Subject: [NMLUG] Linux Firewall

  I again state that I am a newbie.  Here is what I am looking for if it
exists.....

 Linux based firewall
 NAT
 DMZ
 Prefer web based interface
 Easy setup

 I like some of the stuff like stateful packet inspection, but maybe asking
too much there.

  EASY is key here....with very good instructions....

  Gonna run it on a Celery 400, tons of RAM.  Currently have a Dlink and a
3c905 for NIC's...but could get others if needed.

 I've looked at Coyote and it is probably the closest I have found...just
doesn't support my NIC's as best I can tell.....

  PS: I am nervous about IPChains with WebMin as the one time I tried that
combo the box was compromised in a matter of days...just got lucky that the
perp was an idiot and left a trail a mile wide or I may have never know.

  Any input greatly appreciated.....