[NMLUG] fs corruption bug in 2.4.15

C. Ulrich nmlug@swcp.com
Sat, 24 Nov 2001 20:46:04 -0700

Since there's a good chance that a few people here are regular Linux kernel
compilers, I thought I'd throw out the info that's been circulating the last
24 hours or so. Apparently, 2.4.15 and 2.5 contain a bug that causes
filesystem corruption on umount. I don't know the details of it, and from
what I've read so far, the developers aren't 100% sure either. There is
supposedly a 2.4.16-pre1 out with Al Viro's patch for the problem, but he's
keen to note that it hasn't been tested yet.

I tried to find a link to the -pre1 patch, but either it's not on the mirrors
yet or I am inept.

The Linux kernel used to be reknowned for its stability, but in the last few
months we've seen 3 (I think?) botched versions. I absolutely love Linux and
I think the developers do an incredible job, but this kind of stuff is enough
to make me switch to *BSD. (But on my desktop, I really couldn't anway, since
none of the BSDs support my video card, my sound card, nor a framebuffer
console.)

</rambling>
--C. Ulrich