[NMLUG] fs corruption bug in 2.4.15

Steve Browne nmlug@swcp.com
Sat, 24 Nov 2001 22:51:36 -0700

On Sat, 24 Nov 2001 20:46:04 -0700, you wrote:

>Since there's a good chance that a few people here are regular Linux kernel
>compilers, I thought I'd throw out the info that's been circulating the last
>24 hours or so. Apparently, 2.4.15 and 2.5 contain a bug that causes
>filesystem corruption on umount. I don't know the details of it, and from
>what I've read so far, the developers aren't 100% sure either. There is
>supposedly a 2.4.16-pre1 out with Al Viro's patch for the problem, but he's
>keen to note that it hasn't been tested yet.
>
>I tried to find a link to the -pre1 patch, but either it's not on the mirrors
>yet or I am inept.
>
>The Linux kernel used to be reknowned for its stability, but in the last few
>months we've seen 3 (I think?) botched versions. I absolutely love Linux and
>I think the developers do an incredible job, but this kind of stuff is enough
>to make me switch to *BSD. (But on my desktop, I really couldn't anway, since
>none of the BSDs support my video card, my sound card, nor a framebuffer
>console.)
>
></rambling>
>--C. Ulrich

That's what you get for putting yourself in the position of a beta
tester. There was a time when I'd run to compile the latest kernel,
but that was when the old kernel wasn't doing everything right. Now I
say, what's the point of cutting-edge upgrades. I used to visit often
the Mandrake "cooker" for beta releases and make a big mess out of my
system. Now I've stopped wasting time and wait for Mandrake to issue a
new release. I'd rather be DOING something WITH the system.

On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with being a beta tester if
that's how you want to spend your time.

M$Win doesn't have it licked better. On THAT system I can't install
Adobe Indesign because I have too many TrueType fonts installed.
Adobe, you see, insists on using THEIR OWN fonts, which M$Win won't
install. So it goes in the wonderful world of software....

Steve
Stephen B. Browne
sbrowne@ix.netcom.com
"Veritas odit moras"