[NMLUG] Slackware users?

Robbins, Wesley L nmlug@swcp.com
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 10:31:21 -0700

There is www.linuxmafia.org for slackware packages.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kelly Wilson [mailto:kwilson@swcp.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2001 9:15 AM
To: nmlug@swcp.com
Subject: Re: [NMLUG] Slackware users?

I love Slackware.  I've been running it since it was SLS.  As an example,
I have small Pentium 75, 64M ram, 3.2G disk system running slackware 3.5
and Apache 1.3.3.  This system has been running our
textmessaging/alphapaging system for about 4 years.  The only time it's
been down is to physically move the machine.  I'd say thats' stable.  I'd
say another big bonus to Slackware is security.  You can do an extremely
functional yet minimal software installation and avoid many security bugs
found in other distributions due to having too much "default" software
installed that is unnecessary for the systems function.  If its not
installed, it can't break.  You have atomic control of which software is
installed and running.
I have no problem with tarballs or compiling source so Slackware is quite
simple in that regard.  If you have the source, you can build and run the
application even if it doesn't conform to those damned Redhat
certifications.   That really bugs me...  My personal opinion is that
Redhat is becoming too Micro$oftish for my tastes.  (soapbox mode "off")

I also run SuSe and have since about version 6.1.  I have been using it
to develop our corporate linux standard because of the supportability and
manageability.  It is supported by Compaq, IBM, etc..  Oracle also
certifies on SuSe and to me, that is HUGE.  SuSe also has the definitive
lead when porting to the OS390 mainframe.  Obviously most people will
never see or use that but it's an example of their technical prowess.
SuSe is also a big contributor to the Xfree project.  In the Pro
versions, Logical Volume Manager and ReiserFS are built-in and easy to
setup, use, and manage.  In a corporate environment, those are
"must-have" features.  Also, the software online-update and patch system
works very well.  These are for security and bug-fixes, not system
upgrades allthough that option is also available online.  I don't
"upgrade" my linux system distribution version without a very good
reason.  I do tend to rebuild the kernels for the systems that I require
to be of production quality but that is regardless of any particular
Linux distribution or "flavor".

Overall when I begin a system project requiring linux, I look at what it
will be used for, who will be supporting it besides myself, and for large
projects, I look for support.  SuSe has all that.  When I build a system
that will be less dynamic (ie.. fewer production changes.) or a
specialized system to run quietly forever, Slackware is excellent.  .

And thats my two cents.
--
Kelly Wilson
kwilson@swcp.com