SuSE -- was Re: [NMLUG] Slackware users?

Rutan Andy C Contr Det 4 AFC2TIG/SRC nmlug@swcp.com
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 15:11:18 -0000

What video card do you have?  Have you checked with SuSE to see if the card
is supported in 7.3?  If it is, you should be able to borrow my installation
set.

-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron Birenboim [mailto:aaron@boim.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2001 5:32 PM
To: nmlug@swcp.com
Subject: SuSE -- was Re: [NMLUG] Slackware users?

Kelly Wilson wrote:

> ..SuSe is also a big contributor to the Xfree project.  In the Pro
> versions, Logical Volume Manager and ReiserFS are built-in and easy to
> setup, use, and manage....
> Also, the software online-update and patch system
> works very well.

Thats what broke for me.  I have a catch-22 where it won't install
some old stuff since some things are newer.... and won't install some
new stuff due to some older stuff.  I'll give you specific errors if you
want.

I needed to upgrade the kernel for a fancy audio card.
The X driver never totally worked for my nvidia card, so I'd like
to upgrade the X stuff.  (Odd snow artifacts, and no energy saver)
I also had to re-do the ide-scsi for my cdrw.  May not have been totally
necessary, but it needed to be done for the new kernel.

So...  the original install was sub-par, and I was hoping that newer
versions would solve some problems.  Now I'm hosed.

The system works, but still has some Audio, X and CDRW "features"
i'd like to see if newer versions address.

7.1 didn't have LVM, but I'm using Reiser with sucess.

>  These are for security and bug-fixes, not system
> upgrades

What about trying to see if system-upgrades fix bugs?
(or missing features like energy-star monitor shut-down)

The only SuSE system I have is my personal workstation.
I am unhappy about being asked to drop another $70 for
Professional edition 7.3 just 6 months after 7.1, on the
slight possibility that it might drive my video card and
audio correctly!  (Plus the risk of data loss in re-install)

--
Aaron Birenboim | Black holes are where G-d divided
Albuquerque, NM |      by zero.