[NMLUG] SuSE fast internet protection question.

Michael Maddex nmlug@swcp.com
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 11:22:54 -0700

If you are looking for some software that will teach him about
firewalls and security in general you might look at bastille

	http://www.bastille-linux.org/

This program will walk the user through about eight different
areas of security from passwords to the /etc/host* files to
ipchains etc.

The program can lock up a box tight as drum while explaining
what it is doing.  It requires perl and the ncurses library.

"Robbins, Wesley L" wrote:

> I hope these questions are not to easy.
>
> What is a good and simple tool in SuSe
> to turn off active ports?  Or setup a firewall?
>
> I'd like to suggest a program to a kid in California.
> He is very new to Linux but is being bomb barded by
> attacks.(Snort) Real telnet and x11 attacks.  Instead
> of me manually setting a firewall for him.   I'd like
> to suggest an app for him.
>
> While he is setting up his firewall what is the
> simplest way to shut off ports in SuSe for only one
> nic?"eth0" but leave localhost and eth1 to be able
> to connect using the ports?

Michael Maddex -- Instructor
Electronics & Computer Technology
Northern New Mexico Community College