[NMLUG] Upcoming Perl CGI Class

Matt Grommes nmlug@swcp.com
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:13:37 -0700

I hate to get into 2 arguments in one day so I'm just going to say that
no, Perl is not passe. :)

However, :) I can't resist the chance to bash some Perl misconceptions
(I almost wrote FUD but I don't know if you meant it that way and like I
say, I don't want to get into another big argument today) so I'll just
give the standard Perl Monk answers:

Perl syntax is only crazy if you want it to be. It can look like C if
you want or it can be crazy obfuscated oneliners. One of the best things
about Perl is the motto TIMTOWTDI (There Is More Than One Way To Do It).
If I want to get an app up and running quickly, I can do most things in
1/10 the time and 1/10 the lines of Perl code than I can in C. The main
thing is, it's up to you. I use Perl as do many others who know better
than I do but you don't have to. If you don't want to use it, don't. PHP
is a cool language for what it's made for. C is a cool language for what
it's made for. Etc., etc., etc.

Also, CGI is not a Perl term. CGI (Common Gateway Interface) is the term
for how any program communicates with a webpage. If your program runs on
the server and communicates with or creates webpages, you're using CGI.
It doesn't matter 1 tiny little bit but I'm a nitpicker, what can I say.

--

			--   Matt Grommes   --
"All these worlds are belong to you, except Europa. Take off no zigs there."