[NMLUG] Upcoming Perl CGI Class

Matt Grommes nmlug@swcp.com
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 16:17:43 -0700

Yeah, I have to say I'm in the same boat on some people's wacky code.
Comments, comments, comments, that's all I can say. :)

If you're doing Perl programs for a webpage, mod_perl is completely the
way to go. One thing mod_perl does that's bad is that it adds quite a
bit to the server overhead. If you're not doing something big that would
be made way faster by going mod_perl, sometimes it's not worth it
because each apache process then has a perl interpretter embedded in it.
Doing mod_perl correctly requires a different mindset too (since your
connections stay around longer, you have to be more careful, especially
with database connections) so a lot of people don't bother with it.

If you want to prove the coolness of Perl and also mess with someone's
head, you can use the Perl module Acme::Bleach in your program. It turns
your program into binary where spaces are 1s and tabs are 0s. Yes, this
means your program is total whitespace but it still runs. Do that in C. :)

--

			--   Matt Grommes   --
"All these worlds are belong to you, except Europa. Take off no zigs there."