[UFFI-Users] get-slot-value and nested structures

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Thu Sep 2 06:50:23 MDT 2004

"Hoehle, Joerg-Cyril" <Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com> writes:

> o "Using UFFI, all foreign types are to be considered statically
> known at compile-time."  Rationale: don't hinder those systems which
> compile to native code: they (typically?) expect foreign types to be
> known at compile time, so they can generate appropriate code (like a
> C compiler).

along the same lines: when don't you know (at compile time) the type
of what you're accessing? since it's C code we're talking about you
simply do not have the possibilty of making certain decisions at
run-time.

> BTW, it's precisely the converse reason that makes CLISP evaluate
> types (e.g. ffi:cast, ffi:with-foreign-object): since it's all
> bytecode and thus a virtual machine, there's little benefit in
> having types set at some early time.  However, I've yet to see
> people take advantage of this: in general, types are known at
> compile time, and people use 'uint8 (i.e. quoted).

does clisp actually use the type information?

--
-Marco
Ring the bells that still can ring.